I think I'm missing somthing in the style guidelines. If I have a
proto file called "trip_summary.proto", which contains a message
"TripSummary", protoc throws the following error:

-protoc-single:
     [exec] --java_out: trip_summary.proto: Cannot generate Java
output because the file's outer class name, "TripSummary", matches the
name of one of the types declared inside it.  Please either rename the
type or use the java_outer_classname option to specify a different
outer class name for the .proto file

So, renaming the file to 'trip_summary_protos.proto', protoc generates
2 Java files, one called TripSummaryProtos.java, containing a static
TripSummaryProtos, which contains an inner TripSummary class.
Setting the option 'java_multiple_files=true', I get 2 java files,
with the TripSummary class referencing all of the static members of
TripSummaryProtos. This doesn't cause any problems with using
TripSummary class (that I know of), but why is the container class
necessary?
Should I just define all of my messages in one file and ignore the
outer class in my code?
-bmadigan