On Apr 8, 10:15 pm, Kenton Varda <ken...@google.com> wrote:
> OK, well, I call that "compression".  Try gzipping the final protobuf and FI
> documents and comparing the compressed sizes.  The protobuf will probably
> compress better, so I'd expect the final results to be roughly even.

The redundancy elimination mechanism of FI is actually a vocabulary
and it works differently than compression algorithms do. FI documents
are good candidates for compression irrespective of whether a
vocabulary is used or not. We've done a few tests with medium/large-
sized documents and protobuf wasn't more compact than FI.

Using FI as a WCF message encoding will typically return better
compactness than the one reported by FI Converter. In FI Converter
there is no awareness of the data types used in the original document
being converted so everything is always encoded as literal. However,
when FI is used as a WCF message encoding then it is data type aware
and so it chooses the representation that's most appropriate for
returning the highest compactness for each single value. FI supports
binary, literal and restricted alphabet representations; when binary
is used FI can downgrade to a smaller range; and the vocabulary can be
employed to eliminate repetitions of the same values. I hope this
explains how it is possible that Shirish might have better compactness
with FI. But also I accept that there are circumstances, especially
with very small messages, in which protobuf might have the upper hand.

Alexander