I'm trying to get the following to work but nothing is being written to
the output stream.
any ideas?

    private void testEncode() throws Exception {
        OutputStream out = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
        CodedOutputStream cos = CodedOutputStream.newInstance(out);

        Person.person.Builder person = Person.person.newBuilder();
        person.setFirstName("First");
        person.setLastName("Last");
        person.build().writeTo(cos);
    }

When I try to decode cos it throws an exception
Exception in thread "main"
com.google.protobuf.InvalidProtocolBufferException: Protocol message
contained an invalid tag (zero).