Protoc treats \r as plain whitespace, so it should have no problem with
Windows line endings.  I just tested this and sure enough, protoc works fine
with .proto files that use Windows-style line endings.
Mac pre-OSX line endings (\r with no \n) won't work if the file contains any
comments.

What kind of errors are you seeing?