On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Alex Black <a...@alexblack.ca> wrote:

> I'm on windows, using Visual Studio 2008 SP1, compiling a Release x64
> build of libprotobuf.  The lib file is 29,570KB big, is that
> expected?

I was going to say "no way", but sure enough, the 32-bit release build is
18,154k, so 64-bit could easily be double that.  However, when you actually
link a binary with the library, the size is much smaller.  protoc.exe, for
example, is 1MB, and it includes both libprotobuf.lib and libprotoc.lib, the
latter of which is 10MB.

I don't know much about MSVC, but perhaps it is including some sort of debug
info in this library?  Cygwin produces a 14MB libprotobuf.a, but after
stripping it is down to 968k.

Note that I consider 1MB to be too big for many users, which is why the next
version will have a "lite" mode that sheds all the descriptors and
reflection features and should be very small.