On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Sushil Shelly <skshe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> thanks for the heads up, upgrading to 2.1.0 noticed that the c++ example
> now requires -lpthread, once I compile my application it will need to know
> about pthread also.

Technically this was always needed, but on some systems the pthread mutex
functions happen to be in the C library, so you could get away without it.
 2.1.0 also uses pthread_once, though, which is not typically in the C
library.

> is there a set of release notes that i need to be aware of,

Just CHANGES.txt.

> and also are there any patches against 2.1.0 that I may need, if so how do
> i find out what they are?

No, if there were critical problems we'd do another release to fix them.

> will "make uninstall" take out all flavors of protocol buffer libraries (I
> used make install on top of a prior install and would like to remove the
> older version)

I'm not completely sure.  "make install" installs a versioned library, then
symlinks libprotobuf.so to the version lib.  Installing a new version would
update the symlink.  Uninistalling the old version might delete the symlink.
 But if you uninstall the old and then re-install the new (just re-run "make
install") then everything should be good.