Hi,

I did some similar performance tests based on that:
http://thrift-protobuf-compare.googlecode.com/svn

My tests runs under Java and uses Protocol Buffers 2.2.0.

Basically I am comparing Java Serialization vs. Protocol buffers with
byte size, serialization and deserialization and my results are
similar to the performance results as stated here:
http://www.eishay.com/2009/03/more-on-benchmarking-java-serialization.html

For serialization I use ByteArrayOutputStream (data stream in
ObjectOutputStream) and for deserialization its counterpart:
ByteArrayInputStream (data stream in ObjectInputStream).

But doing the performance test under RMI the performance results are
totally different. Here Protocol Buffers is slower(!) than Java
Serialization.

The only difference I can see is that it uses for serialization a
BufferedOutputStream (in ConnectionOutputStream) and a DataInputStream
(in ConnectionInputStream).

Does anybody know why that is so?

Tai