C++ Protocol Buffers use UTF-8 for all text encoding, regardless of
platform.  If you want to use some other encoding in your code, you will
have to manually convert between that and UTF-8 when interacting with
Protocol Buffers.
In Java and Python everything is taken care of automatically, since these
languages have built-in unicode support.  In Java, protocol buffers uses
String object (which are unicode) to represent strings, and in Python you
can use the "unicode" builtin type for unicode.