protobuf is very cool.  There are two options which I think would be
very helpful:

1) An option to prefix a length field to each message.  This would
make it possible to serialize/deserialize a stream of bytes (e.g., a
TCP socket).

2) An option for prefixing a type field to each message -- this makes
it possible to tell what message type is coming over a stream of
bytes.  This is useful in some cases where you expect a message but
don't know what kind.

For now I can manually prefix these values, but I these options are
useful enough that adding options to enable the protoc compiler to
automatically do this work would be worthwhile.

Thanks for a great tool!