I was thinking there could still be a general loose name that people
use just to say the message(s) in the file are encoded in protobuf and
clients are expected to know the structure.   Sort of like an xml file
that doesn’t have a doctype or schema specified in the file but, not
really since an xml file still has a general structure that a generic
xml parser can parse.  Your right, I would still need to know the
structure of the file and either have a proto file or the message(s)
would have to be self describing using some pattern.   The encoding
plus the structure determines the file extension so if I came up with
the file structure I should come up with the extension.