The plugin framework is not meant for this.  Plugins can only insert code at
points that have explicitly been declared by the original generator.  For
example, in Java, the code generator generates one insertion point in each
class.  So, you can add new methods to a message type, but you cannot stick
javadoc comments on the existing methods.

I think that a system which let you arbitrarily edit the generated code
would be too fragile -- any change to the code generator would potentially
break plugins.  In fact, I'm even worried that the current system is risky
because it allows plugins to get access to private members which could
change, but I don't see any way around that.

All this said, I think it would be great if the protocol compiler supported
some format for documentation comments and automatically copied those
comments into the generated code.  But no one has actually worked on this
yet.