Hi!

I am having a problem when compiling my libraries which use protobuf
generated sources when I'm using the Visual C++ 2005 Professional
edition. I am using the version 2.3.0 of Protocol Buffers.

I have described a custom string EnumValueOptions extension as
follows:

extend google.protobuf.EnumValueOptions {
  optional string message = 50000;
}

Then, I use this string option in multiple enumeration values in
single enumeration proto, somewhat like this:

enum ExampleEnum
{
  ENUMERATION_OPTION = 1          [(message) = "Enumeration option
1"];
  ENUMERATION_OPTION = 2          [(message) = "Enumeration option
2"];
  ENUMERATION_OPTION = 3          [(message) = "Enumeration option
3"];
  ENUMERATION_OPTION = 4          [(message) = "Enumeration option
4"];
}

There are a lot more of these in the real implementation (maybe
hundreds and the messages are longer).

When I compile this with Visual Studio 2005 Pro I get:

"fatal error C1091: compiler limit: string exceeds 65535 bytes in
length"

This comes from the protoc generated file (i.e. exampleenum.pb.cc)

I have tried to compile this test project also in Linux environment
and with Visual C++ 2008 Express edition and the problem does not
reproduce.

I guess that the question is should the Protocol Buffers work when
using Visual Studio 2005? I can send you example project files if
necessary.

Thanks for reply in advance!