On May 3, 2010, at 21:11 , Evan Jones wrote:
Yes, I actually changed ByteString, since ByteString.copyFromUtf8 is how protocol buffers get UTF-8 encoded strings at this point.

Although now that I think about it, I think it might be possible to enable this only for SPEED messages, if that might make it interesting. It may require some gross stuff in ByteString, though, in order to be able to create ByteStrings using a different code path, without including the .class files in the lite jar.

My guess: this probably isn't worth an extra 10-20% performance improvement. I'll try to clean up and maintain the patch, so speed freak types can always patch their own implementations.

Evan

--
Evan Jones
http://evanjones.ca/