Comment #9 on issue 210 by temporal: Java code should detect incompatible runtime library version

It is actually very important that you match protoc versions with libprotobuf.jar versions. However, in the future we'd like to spin off the whole Java side into a separate package (runtime library + code generator plugin), at which point its version numbers wouldn't necessarily have to match protoc's. Although, we still may want them to match to express which protoc feature set is implemented by each Java implementation version.