I am implementing PB to provide an external interface and API to a
developing system.  I know the interface will change and the extension/
backwards compatibility is a major benefit.  When designing the .proto
files should I, for pure flexibility, make everything optional or
repeated fields? If I do this I can then write separate Validate
functions for each implementation revision.  I can see an opportunity
to automate the validate function creation with the code generating
capabilities.  This will remove the burden of "required is forever"
but will it impact performance or have other negative effects that I
can not see?  Is this a good practice for flexible implementations or
are there better patterns?

Thanks