You should probably contact the authors of protobuf-java-format; I'm not
sure if they pay attention to this list.

Base64 is the best way to encode arbitrary (non-text) data as text.
 However, it's really up to the JSON converter code you are using to decide
what format to use.  As far as I know, JSON does not specify any particular
encoding for arbitrary bytes.