I am trying to understand how --proto_path works. Let's say in
my .proto file have the following import lines:
import "descriptor.proto";
import "google/protobuf/descriptor.proto";

What would the path be for the option?

I have tried using different path:
protoc --proto_path=/usr/local/include/google/protobuf --
cpp_out=. ....
protoc --proto_path=/usr/local/include --cpp_out=. ....

The only way I have gotten it to work is to copy the descriptor.proto
to the current directory for the first import line above.  Or create
sub-directories matching path in the second import line.