Hello, thanks for all the responses. Sorry if my goals were not
perfectly clear. To put it simple, what I am looking for is
essentially something like "byte[] intBytes =
ProtoBuf.intToBytes(100);" / "int i =
ProtoBuf.readInt(bytesOfSerializedObject);" so that the values are
serialized and deserialized platform-independently. Such functionality
is obviously present in the ProtoBuf codebase. It would be great if it
was made public so I could use it in my code. To save CPU time and
memory, I want to avoid wrapping primitive types or any similar
workarounds, it's going to be a very frequent operation.

The reason why I need all this is that I must map the information
stored in the fields of my data classes to a list of special data
classes from third-party code. It's not a simple field-by-field
mapping, e.g. two fields may need to be mapped to the same third-party
class serialized after each other. This mapping is where I require
cross-platform binary serialization. All these operations must be made
by generated code based on annotations in my data classes. What at
first may seem like over-complicating things is actually my effort to
make things as simple and effective as possible. :)

As for now, I finally decided to go with Thrift's binary
serialization. But if it ever becomes possible to use ProtoBuf's
serialization functionality in a similar way, I'd definitely like to
hear about it. :)

Gabor