I'm building an application around protocol buffers. The types in my
application can be mapped to types that protocol buffers supports, so
I can sort of on-the-fly translate. For example, I have a timestamp
field that can be translated to a 64 bit unsigned integer. But it
would be really nice to do this within protocol buffers.

Additionally, there are some types that protocol buffers supports
internally, but has no language types for. For example, I would like
the ability to work with integers that were larger than 2^64-1.

Is there a way to use options and hook the compiler to generate your
own types for fields? Is there a way to hook the validation code so
you can make types for integers larger than 2^64-1?

Thanks,
--
Eric Hopper