I am writing a python extension (in C++) which needs to work with
protobufs. I would also like to make use of the experimental C++/
Python extension in my application. (i.e. I would like my extension to
handle python protobuf messages which are actually backed by c++
messages.)

Is there a reasonable way to do this right now? It appears that the
secret to doing this would lie gaining access to the
MutableCProtoInsidePyProto method which exists down inside the
protobuf pyext code. However, this method is only implemented in the
internal _net_proto2___python.so library, which is a python extension
itself, and not suitable for 'general' linking to another library
(e.g. it has no soname defined).

It seems like maybe this could be solved by creating a separate
'implementation' library which would contain the implementation of
MutableCProtoInsidePyProto (and its sibling method). This would also
require moving the CMessage struct out of the python-proto2.cc file
and into a header file so it could be used for both the python
extension, and the implementation library.

Thoughts?

Alex