Any data transfer mechanism can be used with protocol buffers.

I have used JMS, TCP, UDP, 'flat files', etc... it's just a matter of
grabbing the bytes (m.build().toByteArray() in java) and throwing them
on the appropriate stream.  You can also output the protocol buffer
directly onto the output stream (m.build().writeTo(OutputStream) or
m.build().writeDelimitedTo(OutputStream))