My experience has been that C++Builder is worse (less standards-
> compliant / less capable) than GCC and MSVC, so most changes to
> accommodate it are actually working around its shortcomings.

I've also struggled with C++Builder in the past.

> I was working some on getting protobuf to work in C++Builder as well.
> I'm curious why you had to remove "using namespace std"?  I was able
> to get it working without doing that.

IMHO, a "using namespace" statement in a header file is always a bad thing.
I was running into weird namespace collision issues and was having trouble
discerning between STL related ones and real problems. By removing that from
common.h, it helped me zero in on what was causing some of the more
seemingly obscure compile issues. Whether these issues were due to
shortcomings of C++Builder's compiler I'm not comfortable/familiar enough
with the C++ standard to be an authority on the matter.

> I think that you should not have removed
> MessageType_WorkAroundCppLookupDefect (in wire_format_lite_inl.h) for
> all compilers.  My understanding is that its intent is to avoid the
> overhead of virtual function dispatch, although I couldn't get it to
> work in C++Builder.

Interesting, I will look closer at this as I'm unfamiliar as well.

> I'll have to give your version a try later.  It looks like you solved
> a couple of problems that were giving me trouble.

Thank you for your thoughts on these matters. Feedback is always welcomed!

Scott