Well, firstly protobuf is not a text format, so UTF-8 is not the way to start.
What is it you need? Note that the protobuf format is ambiguous unless you
already know the schema (the same data can be interpreted in different ways).
However, if you read the encoding spec, you should be able to guess many cases.

Marc