This is specifically a protobuf-net question. I am guessing that somewhere
in your model is a property / field declared simply as "object". That isn't
enough information for ptotobuf-net to work with, because the protobuf data
format doesn't include type metadata. It would have no way of recreating
the object during deserialization.

There *is* some implementation-specific support for spoofing this, but I
would need a bit more context before advising this route - my default
answer would be "make the model more specific".

If you can share details of the model (here, or direct to me by email if
you can't drop it on a public forum) I may be able to advise further.

Marc
(protobuf-net)