On 7 October 2013 10:45, Barzo <dba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In a meanwhile I have built the .cs generated file into a separate DLL
> assembly and I added it (linked) to my C++/CLI project.

Indeed, compiling it as C# and referencing/linking was what I meant - i.e.
using the C# *from* C++/CLI, rather than *in* C++/CLI

If you wanted native C++/CLI output, you'd need to write a new
code-generator for C++/CLI and the desired library. Which isn't necessarily
too difficult (in the case of protobuf-net, you should be able to use
csharp.xslt as a starting point).

Re the difference between protobuf-csharp-port vs protobuf-net:

- protobuf-csharp-port tries to be idiomatic protobuf, supporting C#
- protobuf-net tries to be idiomatic C# (/.NET), supporting protobuf

Or in other words: the API for protobuf-csharp-port is very similar to the
google implementations - and virtually identical to the protobuf java API -
builder pattern, etc. Conversely, protobuf-net aims first and foremost to
be a .NET serializer (mutable objects, primarily code-first (code-gen added
as a secondary tool), etc), but just happening to dealing with protobuf
data.

Marc