On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 4:36 AM, <proto...@googlecode.com> wrote:

> Comment #7 on issue 515 by peterhan...@yahoo.com: More intelligent enums
> http://code.google.com/p/protobuf/issues/detail?id=515
>
>  The proposed solution doesn't work because:
>>> 1. The name of the enum type is changed from "Foo" to "Foo::Enum" which
>>> will be confusing to the users.
>>>

> The proposal text says the new option is  .. well, optional. So if you
> don't specify it protobuf compiler will (regardless of target language)
> generate exactly same code as today. How can that be confusing ? .. except
> for those who explicitly put in the new proposed option in the .proto file
> .. but then those people have made a conscious choice to use the new
> proposed feature.

When enabling this option, the enum type will be named as Foo::Enum while
normal people will expect it to be Foo (and indeed it's Foo in any other
language). This is the kind of inconsistency we should avoid.

>  2. For enums nested in a message you simply can't nest a namespace in a
>>> class.
>>>

> Not sure I understand.
>
> In any case, if you really believe so,  we could say in the documentation
> that the proposed new option has no effect for C++ and make sure that's
> what is happening. This would still bring great benefits to anyone else
> (most languages has the notion of namespace for enums) just not to C++
> users.
>
> There are already options in .proto files that only benefit some languages
> but not others so going down that route is not something new. It all
> depends if the design idea of protobuf is to be bound by the lowest common
> denominator, in this case C++ ? I certainly understand and appreciate the
> desire to keep protobuf design lean and mean so I would sympathize
> (somewhat reluctantly :-)) with such a conscious choice.
>

>  the value of allowing duplicated enum value names is also very limited.
>>> It doesn't seem to be a worthwhile effort to me.
>>>

> What?  Perhaps we're just different but we run into these issues all the
> time in particular with enum values such as "YES", "NO", "NONE,
> "UNDEFINED", words that are likely to be used in different enums. Yes,
> there are ways around it .. but they just make protobuf code harder to read
> and make your setup more convoluted than what it needs to. And I love
> protobuf for the exact opposite reasons.

C++ has such a limitation for many years and we live with it very well.
There are well established coding styles requiring a prefix to enum values.
I honestly don't believe it makes the code harder to read.