On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 10:40 PM, Arjun Satish <arjun.sat...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Would it be possible to re-introduce this feature in a subsequent release?
> It seems like you are still using it under-the-hood.

In C++/Java/Python where we support both proto2 and proto3, default values
will continue to exist. In new languages (e.g., ruby) though, the support
for non-zero default values will be dropped completely.

> And because of the benefits I mentioned above, I strongly feel that it
> will only help the community.

As far as I know, the decision is final. Internally a lot Google projects
have already adopted the new syntax and so far we have not heard problems
caused by disallowing default values. It's unlikely this will be changed in
the future. The omission of this feature (and other features) is to make
the language simpler and to allow more idiomatic implementations in a wider
range of languages. It's believed this decision will help the protobuf
community (both protobuf maintainers and protobuf users) and we expect
proto3 to be a version that can be more easily adopted than proto2 by new
users due to these simplifications. For existing users who rely on removed
features, they can continue to use proto2 and that will be supported for a
long time (if not forever). Currently we generally do not recommend
migrating existing proto2 projects to proto3 because of incompatibility
issues (e.g., extensions are dropped in proto3) and only recommend new
users to use proto3.