I'm trying to build protocol buffers Version 3 on my Windows laptop using
gcc, gcc version 4.5.4.

I'm reviewing the README.md file in the top directory and it refers me to a
README.md file in the src directory, well that file does not exist.

Can I use cmake to build protocol buffers for use with gcc?

I'm an old Unix guy who is struggling with Visual Studio and feel more
comfortable using gcc.

Thanks,
Doug