Suppose in some json formatted schema I have "foo": [[12, 34],[56,78]]. I
know I could do
message foo_sub{
  repeated int value = 1;
}

message Document{
  repeated foo_sub foo = 1;
}
But if I directly convert this into json, it will be:
"foo":[{"value":[12, 34]}, {"value":[56,78]}]

While, in terms of information, these are equivalent, using the protobuf3
json conversion function, it doesn't produce quite the same json as the
initial kind.

Is there a way to do this kind of functionality? To an arbitrary depth of
arrays?

Suppose I write a custom protobuf to json string function, instead of
relying on the included one. Suppose that this 'foo' field is a message in
a larger protobuf that gets translated into a json string. Is there a way
to tell that larger protobuf to use the custom function I made for its
sub-message?