On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 12:41:18 PM UTC-7, Josh Humphries wrote:

> This code is emitted by the GRPC plugin for Java. For Go, all code gen is
> a plugin (protoc-gen-go
> <https://github.com/golang/protobuf/tree/master/protoc-gen-go>) and it
> includes the GRPC functionality. For Java, the core protoc knows how to
> emit the normal generated code, but you need the right protoc plugin
> <https://github.com/grpc/grpc-java/tree/master/compiler> to generate
> GRPC-related Java stuff -- like service interfaces and methods for
> registering a server implementation.

Thank you.  As it happens, yes, I'm using the gRPC plugin for Java
<https://github.com/microbean/microbean-helm/blob/microbean-helm-2.5.0.0/pom.xml#L290-L310>.

 So maybe my question is better phrased like this:

I see that when the gRPC plugin for Go is invoked against these .proto
sources, these methods get emitted.  I do not see evidence of these methods
in generated Java code when I use the (analogous) gRPC plugin for Java.
 Why not?

Thanks again for your response.

Best,
Laird