Hello everyone,

I have downloaded and compiled the C++ installation of protobuf yesterday
on my Ubuntu 16.04 and everything seemed to be fine (make check passed
everything in particular).

Now today when I restarted my computer, I wasn't able to open unity: the
launcher and top pannel have disappeared and I can't open a terminal with
the classical shortcut Ctrl + Alt + T for example. When I launch unity in a
terminal, I get the following error:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/unity/compiz-config-profile-setter:
 symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcompizconfig.so.0:
undefined symbol: _ZNK6google8protobuf7Message9SpaceUsedEv

It seems that the protobuf installation has messed up with compiz and unity.

I have tried several things to fix unity, but nothing worked:

   - Reinstall ubuntu-desktop with
   sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop
   - Reinstall libcompizconfig and also compiz entirely with apt-get.
   - Reinstall unity with apt-get
   - Uninstall protobuf with
   sudo make uninstall

Do you have any idea why this happened and how to fix this? I would like to
completely undo the protobuf install and have unity back as before, but
obviously sudo make uninstall wasn't enough...

Thanks in advance for your help!