1) You misunderstood the enum definition in proto. field1, field2 and
field3 don't define fields on message A and B. Instead, they define the
enum value of enum foo.
2) If the nested message field have the same structure and same field
number, it will still work.
BTW, I just find your proto definition is not valid. Please take a look of
the example, see how a valid proto looks like.