>From the error messages, it appears that the problem may be due to hitting
some internal compiler limits.  Just a wild thought, but you might try
compiling just the protobuf code itself with vs 2008 or mingw gcc to create
binary object files or perhaps a dll, and see if the result will link with
the rest of your project, compiled with vs 2005.

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 1:46 PM, 'Feng Xiao' via Protocol Buffers <
protobuf@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 9:42 AM Eric Pederson <eric...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all:
>>
>> I am trying to build Protobuf (3.5.1) using Visual Studio 2005 (I know,
>> it's ancient, but we are stuck with it for now).  I am getting these errors:
>>

>> Compiling...
>> main.cc
>> src\google/protobuf/stubs/hash.h(309) : error C2977: 'stdext::hash_map' :
>> too many template arguments
>>         C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
>> 8\VC\include\hash_map(89) : see declaration of 'stdext::hash_map'
>> src\google/protobuf/stubs/hash.h(319) : see reference to class template
>> instantiation 'google::protobuf::hash_map' being compiled
>> src\google/protobuf/stubs/hash.h(309) : error C2955: 'stdext::hash_map' :
>> use of class template requires template argument list
>>         C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
>> 8\VC\include\hash_map(89) : see declaration of 'stdext::hash_map'
>> src\google/protobuf/stubs/hash.h(311) : error C2977: 'stdext::hash_map' :
>> too many template arguments
>>         C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
>> 8\VC\include\hash_map(89) : see declaration of 'stdext::hash_map'
>>

>> Is there a workaround for this?   Or is Protobuf 3 not compatible with VS
>> 2005?   I am able to build Protobuf 2.6.1 with VS 2005.
>>
> If you have to use vs2005, protobuf 2.6.1 might be the latest version you
> can use. From protobuf 3.0.0, we require at least vs 2008 to build.
>

>> --

   The way to be happy is to be good.