I have just realized my problem, and mine at least is of the PEBKAC
nature.  I was building from my home directory, which is an NFS share in
our environment, and root is squashed.  Thus, when trying to rename/move
files under my home directory, root gets "Permission denied".  I built in
and installed from /tmp and I had no issues.  Sort of a facepalm moment for
me, but thanks anyway.

Thank you,

-Marc