Hello,

In the Protocol Buffer v2 Field specification there is a notion of
messageType and enumType. Casually reading the specification, it is
easy to miss this, but there is nothing there to tell anyone whether a
messageType or an enumType was encountered, except perhaps a second
pass verification.

Which brings me to the second question, how does one interpret the
identifiers involved in the type specification? Also, what's with the
leading dot? Please explain. Thanks!

Also, minor question, is the trailing semi-colon a typo? i.e.
"fieldNumber = intLit;". I gather that perhaps it is a typo but I
wanted to clarify that as well.

// Identifiers
ident = letter { letter | decimalDigit | "_" }
// ...
messageName = ident
enumName = ident
// ...
messageType = [ "." ] { ident "." } messageName
enumType = [ "." ] { ident "." } enumName
// ...
// Field
label = "required" | "optional" | "repeated"
type = "double" | "float" | "int32" | "int64" | "uint32" | "uint64" |
"sint32" | "sint64" | "fixed32" | "fixed64" | "sfixed32" | "sfixed64"
| "bool" | "string" | "bytes" | messageType | enumType
fieldNumber = intLit; // <- is the trailing semicolon here a typo?

http://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/reference/proto2-spec

Best,

Michael Powell