(I think Kerry's reply went to a different thread...)

On Thursday, April 23, 2020 at 5:11:05 PM UTC-7, Crouse, Kerry wrote:

> David,
>
>     Thank you for your very prompt reply! I am required (for
> compatibility) to use version 2.6.0. I'm not sure this makes much of a
> difference. What I am attempting to ultimately accomplish is turn the
> .proto files into code I can feed into the PowerPC cross compiler to
> generate code as part of the static image to load onto the PowerPC.

Yes, this is something that (conceptually) should work. (But there are more
details...)

> Perhaps I'm not thinking about this process in the correct manner. If I
> generate Protoc using that cross compiler, Protoc will have to be run on
> the PowerPC? If so, my goal is defeated. I don't think, however, that
> running the x86 Protoc will give me the correct data structures and code.
> Perhaps I'm completely backwards.

This is notionally correct. However, the compatibility and ABI surfaces
within the protobuf suite are ... let's say, "complex." :-)

If the PPC32 target uses version 2.6.0, then you'll need to use the protoc
from that version. The generated protobuf code is version-locked, in the
sense that the generated code is effectively API- and ABI-locked to
internal APIs in the (non-generated) protobuf runtime libraries. (This is
somewhat similar to Qt and moc, if you are familiar with cross-building
Qt-based projects... protobuf has a few more notional "API surfaces," but
the idea is similar.)

If you have the sources that were used to build the ppc32 runtimes, you
should be able to build for your host using those. Alternatively, you can
grab a tarball from that release here:
https://github.com/protocolbuffers/protobuf/releases/tag/v2.6.0

I would also suggest upgrading from 2.6.0 if you can (but it sounds like
this may be a hard constraint for you... in which case, you have my
sympathies).

--dlj