Hi Nadav,

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 5:25 PM Nadav Samet <thesa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Josh, thanks for the heads up on the upcoming change needed by source
> code generators.
>
> At first sight, the implementation detail around
> synthetic/real oneofs seems like a clever hack to avoid breaking some code
> that uses reflection, but the consequence would be that:
> 1. some code that does reflection would still break and need to be
> updated, for example if the reflection translates from a representation
> that depends on the oneof's name.

What representations do you mean? In general it is not expected that oneof
names are exposed in wire formats. Authors of .proto files are free to
change them at will without breaking the wire.

> 2. the synthetic/real oneofs distinction is going to remain with us in the
> foreseeable future and we'll have to keep it in mind when we write
> generators and reflection code: we will always need to think which list of
> oneofs is the appropriate one to iterate on.

Reflection code should not generally have to think about the difference
between real and synthetic oneofs. The main exception is if you are
generating an API or documentation that is consumed by users. But I expect
this is a small minority of all code using reflection.

Can you give an example of some of the code that would be affected?