Our StringPiece type has been made obsolete by the std::string_view type
introduced in C++17, so we will eventually get rid of StringPiece and
replace it with std::string_view (or absl::string_view, which has the same
API but is available in C++11). So if you are making a local modification
to support allocating strings on arenas, it would probably be best to go
straight to std::string_view and avoid our StringPiece type. To handle both
the arena and non-arena case, the simplest solution would be to store both
a std::string_view and a std::string. When arenas are used, you can have
the string_view point into arena-allocated memory, and when arenas are not
used, it can just point to the std::string's data.