Thanks for the suggestion and sorry for taking so long to reply. It's an
interesting idea but I guess I'm skeptical of whether it's worth the effort
to avoid an extra protoc invocation, since in my experience protoc
invocations are not usually the bottleneck in build performance. I would
also be nervous about adding a special case for gRPC, since that is just
one of many plugins that one might want to use.