A few of supplementary points:

1) The CMake system will not be required to generate pom files or deploy to
maven repositories.
2) The CMake system will not be required to perform dynamic dependency
resolution
3) The CMake system will not be required to integrate with other build/test
tooling (coverage reports, style checkers, etc) which may be provided
within the maven build system

I'm also not sure exactly how well the CMake build system will work with
the Java build on Windows systems (my guess would be "not well")... we
should probably look to make it work if we can, but this may not be trivial.

-- Rob