Mick, great question!
As I mentioned in the other thread we owe it to application developers
to describe the behaviour.
And if we change the behaviour btw releases we need to document it
prominently in the release notes as is often the case applications
will be written taking advantage of certain behavioural patterns.

A somewhat related example is, DUPS_OK and AUTO_ACK had the same
behaviour (all though wrong) and most applications that used AUTO_ACK
saw a performance drop when we eventually fixed it. Some applications
used the wrong ack mode, just bcos it behaved in a certain way.
Chances are that applications will be written to rely on the current
behaviour. So we need text to explain that all though that this is the
current behaviour things may change in the future. If it does change
then we need to tell them how to fall back to the previous behaviour.
This is my rationale behind making the behaviour configurable.

Rajith