Hi,

I'm scratching my head a bit to understand your scenario so I'll answer the
easy question first. ;-) The address format currently used by messenger
isn't part of any official spec, and the official spec will likely look a
bit different. When the spec is ratified, we will have to change and
probably do some work to maintain backwards compatibility.

Now as for your scenario, I applied your patch and ran through the scenario
you describe and what I observed was the first reply going from window 1 to
window 3 getting dropped due to the (intentionally) aborted connection, and
the second reply ending up going to window 2 because the window 1 messenger
saw that there was no connection and was able to initiate its own
connection based on the address in the reply_to. What is perhaps a little
odd about this configuration is the fact that the messenger in window 3 has
chosen a dns registered name that collides with the ip/port used in window
2. If you imagine instead that the messenger in window 3 is actually
subscribed to  amqp://~127.0.0.1:23456/, then the behaviour could be quite
useful. The server could in fact get a reply back to the client even if the
client's original connection dies.

So assuming I understand your scenario/suggestion correctly, I'd say the
ability to choose a dns registered name for your messenger is actually a
feature, not a bug. I'll also point out that because the messenger name is
placed in the reply_to address with simple text substitution, you can
always choose your messenger name to be '/foo' instead of foo (or indeed
you could use any illegal domain character) in order to avoid the
possibility of accidental collision.

Does this help at all or do I have the wrong end of the stick regarding
your scenario?

--Rafael