Hello proton mailing list.

I think that some folks here have noticed that within IBM we have an
incubator project called MQ Light [1] which is using the AMQP 1.0 wire
protocol and is making use of Apache Qpid Proton both standalone[1] and in
our cloud PaaS incubator [2].
Up until this point we have been largely in listen mode on the mailing
list but now we will be engaging with the community so we thought it would
be polite to introduce ourselves, what we are doing and how we are
thinking of engaging with you.

Currently we use the proton C messenger API in our client and the Java
messaging API in our "server" which uses code derived from IBM's Websphere
MQ products.

We have raised some Jiras, we plan to raise more for some specific
problems we have had, supplying patches which show how we worked around or
addressed each problem we had.

We also have some of more strategic queries the first of which are:

 - We are finding that we need to extend Messenger in order to make it
capable of doing what we want it to. Is this valid or did you want to keep
messenger really simple.   Should we just supply patches for these
extensions also?

-  We want to create language bindings for MQ Light which are _really_
easy to use by programmers in that language. Specifically we find these
bindings need to understand our messaging model. AMQP does not have a
preconceived idea of a messaging model. We would like to put all of the
client code into open source but do these language bindings belong in the
Proton project? If not, I suspect we'll create a separate project which
has a dependency to proton.

-  As we have consumed the Java engine API we have run up against some
threading issues. This might be because we do not understand the threading
model in the Engine.  At some point we'd like to have a design discussion
with the community on the threading model in the Engine implementation.

[1] https://www.ibmdw.net/messaging/mq-light/
[2] http://www.bluemix.net
[3] https://www.npmjs.org/package/mqlight

Regards,

Rob Nicholson
CEng MEng FBCS CITP

Phone: +44-1962-817517 | Mobile: +44-7843-368769
E-mail: rob_nichol...@uk.ibm.com
Find me on:   and within IBM on:

Hursley Park
Hursley, SO212JN