Using the Ruby Chatty example in my examples repo [1] I see painful
slow runtime performance. To run the example, first launch the Guru
process:

 $ ruby guru.rb

Then, in another terminal, start a single Student instance:

 $ ruby student

What you'll see is the student starts off with a 1 or 2 messages,
but then immediately gets sluggish. If you start another instance of
Student things degrade very quickly.

If, however, in student.rb we change:

  $msgr.receive(1)

to:

  $msgr.receive(-1)

then there is no apparently sluggishness until several thousand messages
have been sent, and multiple instances of Student are able to run
without slowing down.

[1]
https://github.com/mcpierce/qpid-ruby-examples/tree/Rafi-slow-server-performance
Delivering value year after year.