The compilation issue I missed in the patch was test-only this time, but it
could have as easily been in non-test code. The other tests now failing
might actually point to some functionality under test not working under
Java 6 at runtime though, which is more of an issue. If the tests showing
it didnt exist, or the CI job had been using either the current or previous
major Java release, then that might not have been noticed prior to release.

Whether it compiles or not isnt the only reason to drop support. Releasing
new versions that people can continue deploying to EOL plaforms in years to
come isnt necessarily helping anyone if we aren't in fact properly ensuring
it really works there. If we dont tuly support it, we should probably cut
it.

Whether we do it now, or later, I just think it would be a good idea to
actually decide on a timeline.

Robbie