[
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-992?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=14741381#comment-14741381
]
Alan Conway commented on PROTON-992:
------------------------------------
We'll need an abstraction for "once", pthread_once won't work on windows. If
we're considering non-portable options, GNU C also has per-process init
functionality: https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/Initialization.html. I
don't much like this route though, proton is supposed to be highly portable -
can you use pthreads or Gnu C on Android? I don't know. A called-from-main
init/final function is the tranditional (and AFAIK only portable) C way to
handle this. I like that proton doesn't have global state and doesn't need to
do this, but if we are going to rely on 3rd party libraries that lack that
discipline I don't really see the choice.
As for the SASL lib - as I read it (I could be wrong) the dispose stuff only
deals with sasl_conn_t state, not global state, so as long as you serialize per
connection you're OK. I won't stake my life on this since I was reading the
wrong version of the code the last time...
> Proton's use of Cyrus SASL is not thread-safe.
> ----------------------------------------------
>
> Key: PROTON-992
> URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-992
> Project: Qpid Proton
> Issue Type: Bug
> Components: proton-c
> Affects Versions: 0.10
> Reporter: michael goulish
> Assignee: michael goulish
> Priority: Critical
>
> Documentation for the Cyrus SASL library says that the library is believed to
> be thread-safe only if the code that uses it meets several requirements.
> The requirements are:
> * you supply mutex functions (see sasl_set_mutex())
> * you make no libsasl calls until sasl_client/server_init() completes
> * no libsasl calls are made after sasl_done() is begun
> * when using GSSAPI, you use a thread-safe GSS / Kerberos 5 library.
> It says explicitly that that sasl_set* calls are not thread safe, since they
> set global state.
> The proton library makes calls to sasl_set* functions in :
> pni_init_client()
> pni_init_server(), and
> pni_process_init()
> Since those are internal functions, there is no way for code that uses Proton
> to lock around those calls.
> I think proton needs a new API call to let applications call
> sasl_set_mutex(). Or something.
> We probably also need other protections to meet the other requirements
> specified in the Cyrus documentation (and quoted above).
--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.3.4#6332)