Yes, that's my understanding too. In unsettled mode, once a message is
received by a receiver, no other receiver will get it until the first
receiver rejects it OR, if the backend queue has a limit on the lock
duration and the receiver neither accepts or rejects, until the lock
expires. Robbie is right, this lock is a server side thing.

For example I believe RabbitMQ doesn't have such a thing as a lock duration
but it will release the message if the receiver connection is closed before
an accept or reject is received.
Azure Service Bus queue has a lock duration with a 5 minute maximum value.
The lock can be renewed through the Azure API but not through Proton, which
makes sense if that notion of lock duration is not part of the AMQP
protocol.