You're still treating Request.responseText as if it were JSON, even
though you're no longer converting it to JSON.  The solution is not to
remove the JSON conversion -- it's to find a JSON library that doesn't
muck with Object.prototype. (I seem to recall there's an older version
of Crockford's library that plays nice -- Mislav, do you know where to
find it?)

We're working on the larger issue that makes your initial code not
work in the first place. Meanwhile, this list is for discussion of
Prototype development.  Support questions should go to the rails-
spinoffs mailing list [1].

Cheers,
Andrew

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-spinoffs