> I think I am
> still expecting the bind operation to be applied to the subject of
> this "sentence", that is, function a, not b."

I would expect the bind to apply to whatever the result is of the compose
(or any other) method, not the object to which the method belongs. In your
example you are implying that the
result of a.compose(b) is a function, which you are then binding c to. That
makes sense, but not what you said. If you wanted c bound to a and then
composed with b you'd need "a.bind(c).compose(b)"