Interesting problem here and I don't think it's a prototype bug, but I
corrected the issue.
Here is what was happening if anyone's interested Here is a short
explanation:

Ajax Call generates some html into a div with this function inside:

GetNextField = function() {return('thenextfield');};

In an included .js file there is another function that goes like so:
function NextField()
{
  FieldName = new String(GetNextField());
  // then doing so breaks
  $(FieldName).focus() or document.main[FieldName].focus();
}

It's the 'new String' that's breaking it, but prior to adding
prototype and dumping all this into a layer with ajax it worked just
fine

The fix:
FieldName = GetNextField();
Bracket and prototype notation both work.

I'm not sure why this worked before, it must be related to the html/
script being generated into the div from the ajax.updater rather than
just being on the page.

Definitely not a prototype problem.